12 October 2012

wedding bells

One of the hardest things about living thousands of miles across an ocean from most of your family & friends is missing out on some of their big once-in-a-lifetime events. These days this means missing a lot of weddings and baby births. So far, I have handled it fine. I have kept track on Facebook - stalked photo albums and commented galore.

But today is the wedding of my dear, dear friend Natalie. Natalie was my first friend in college, and since we were at Smith College (an all-women's school) and spent nearly 24/7 together, people were convinced for a while that we were in love. Well, I have to say that although it was not in the way they imagined, I basically was. Natalie is one of those friends - of which there are very few in life - who is literally a bright light in even the darkest of times. Her face, her smile, her eyes, her laugh, her voice - she was always a breath of fresh air and lit up every room. I went through some hard times in college, as I guess most of us do, and Natalie was always there. Steadfast as a rock, honest, full of love and smiling.

It breaks my heart that I can't be there to see Natalie's wide heartfelt smile as she embraces this new beginning with the man she loves and all her family & friends by her side. But I know that if there is anyone out there whose heart & soul will go into their marriage, who will pour all she has into it and yet remain unmistakably herself, it is Natalie.

I love you girl, and miss you always. Congrats on this beautiful day!


1 comment:

  1. Ariana this is BEAUTIFUL and I must say you truly know my daughter, Natalie!! I couldn't get through your post without a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes...you absolutely nailed it when you described the feeling one gets when they see her face ....it's pure sunshine and she genuinely does love with ALL of her heart! Gray is a very lucky man but so is Natalie a lucky woman to have found a man who makes her smile brighter (if that's possible), her heart full and her world everything but gray!
    After Brit gave her toast to Nat & Gray she announced your message and read the last paragraph...so your presence was felt regardless of the distance that separates you from your friend. Brit said she wishes she could of described Natalie as well as you did:) Thank you for sharing your heartfelt thoughts and wishes!
    Nat's wedding was so her...simple, genuine, fun, full of love and absolutely beautiful...nature was the altar surrounded by the sounds of wind and sea and witnessed by those who mean the most to her and Gray making it a very special memory!

    ReplyDelete