18 December 2011

south coast holiday













It is finally summer holiday, which means I have just over 2 weeks off from work! It is customary in South Africa for offices to close for at least two weeks at Christmas time, which I have to say is a tradition I could certainly get used to quite easily. To kick off the holiday, Andrew and I spent two days with family in the lovely seaside town of Hermanus. Hermanus is about a 90 minute drive from Cape Town, on the south coast of the Western Cape. Luckily, part of what that means is that Hermanus' water is part of the Indian Ocean, and the sea is a almost ten degrees warmer than the Atlantic waters of the beautiful-but-frigid Clifton beaches in Cape Town.

We were lucky enough to stay at The Marine Hotel, one of country's Relais & Chateaux five star hotels. What a treat! The hotel was beautiful inside and out, and the service was superb. I can certainly see the appeal of these luxurious locales! It was a truly lovely weekend - relaxing by the pool, eating calamari and mussels by the sea, wading in the rock pools in the nearby village of Onrus and relaxing on the beach. Can't wait to head back there soon. In fact, I am hoping to spend at least 24 hours there when my family comes to visit in February. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment